Thursday 10 January 2013

The Devil Laments Cameron's Christmas Carol

I used the quote from Dickens below last December on my Facebook page in regards to criticism of ATOS.  Like a lot of people, I felt critical of the government creating and allowing such an appallingly unfair process; in particular, I was horrified to hear of people having died of their illness not long after ATOS claimed they were fit for work and should have their benefits stopped. 

I didn't realise that Cameron would provide an even bigger reason to quote it again: 

 'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. 'Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas, and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned—they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.'
 'Many can't go there; and many would rather die.'
 'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."
 A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, 1843. 

 And 169 years later, when we are supposedly better than back then, Prime Minister Scrooge policies exist; you can find the details here at The Independent. You can read how Cameron and his chums laughed as he described the welfare policies that are going to make "the poor poorer."

Meanwhile, the Devil laments...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments are not allowed on this blog. If your full name is not submitted as well as your comment, the comment will not be published. Those that submit via means which only give a forename or nickname will not be published.